How to use a nebulizer
Before a person starts taking medicine with a nebulizer, a doctor or nurse will explain how the nebulizer works and answer any questions.
If a person receives their nebulizer from a pharmacy or medical equipment company, someone there will explain how to use it.
Each nebulizing machine operates a little differently. It is crucial to read the instructions for the particular device that the doctor has prescribed.
In general, a nebulizer is very easy to use, with only a few basic steps:
- Wash the hands.
- Add the medicine to the medicine cup, according to the doctor’s prescription.
- Assemble the top piece, tubing, mask, and mouthpiece.
- Attach the tubing to the machine, according to the instructions.
- Turn the nebulizer on; they can be battery- or electrically powered.
- While using the nebulizer, hold the mouthpiece and medicine cup upright to help deliver all the medication.
- Take slow, deep breaths through the mouthpiece and inhale all the medicine.
Please speak with the doctor or call the manufacturer with any questions or concerns about the device.